Membrane Transport in Living Systems
Our research is focused on understanding how microbial cells interact with their environment both as a community and as individual cells with an emphasis of membrane transporter regulation. Besides conventional techniques such as CFU assays, flow cytometry, mass spectrometry, real-time quantitative PCR and RNA sequencing, we develop bespoke microfluidic devices that enable to accurately control the microenvironment surrounding the cells and perform a series of functional assays on the very same individual cell. This allows us to shed light on the physiology of rare subpopulations of cells that are generally hidden in ensemble measurements on clonal populations. Furthermore, we are always open to apply the technology we develop for collaborative studies on other microbes, mammalian, plant and algal cells as well as more fundamental studies on colloidal particles.
- J. Cama, M. Schaich, K. Al Nahas, S. Hernandez-Ainsa, S. Pagliara, U. F. Keyser
Optofluidic Measurement of the Lipid Permeability of Fluoroquinolones
Scientific Reports, 6, 32824, (2016) [Link][PDF]
- E. Locatelli, M. Pierno, F. Baldovin, E. Orlandini, Y. Tan, S. Pagliara
Single-file escape of colloidal particles from microfluidic channels
Physical Review Letters, 117, 038001, (2016) [Link][PDF]
- J. Cama, H. Bajaj, S. Pagliara, T. Maier, Y. Braun, M. Winterhalter, U. F. Keyser.
Quantification of fluoroquinolone uptake through the outer membrane channel OmpF of Escherichia coli
Journal of the American Chemical Society, 137,13836-13843, (2015) [Link][PDF]
- K. Misiunas, S. Pagliara, E. Lauga, J. R. Lister, U. F. Keyser.
Non-decaying hydrodynamic interactions along narrow channels.
Physical Review Letters, 115, 038301, (2015) [Link][PDF]
- O. Otto, P. Rosendahl, A. Mietke, S. Golfier, C. Herold, D. Klaue, S. Girardo, S. Pagliara, A. Ekpenyong, A. Jakobi, M. Wobus, N. T&opfner, U. F. Keyser, J. Mansfeld, E. Fischer-Friedrich, J. Guck.
Real-time deformability cytometry: on-the-fly cell mechanical phenotyping.
Nature Methods,12, 199-202, (2015)[Link][PDF]