The work of the TIME project depends entirely on the interest and collaboration of the patients who have taken part. We thank them for their generous and enthusiastic help.
Participants have been recruited on the basis of the following diagnostic criteria for Transient Epileptic Amnesia (TEA):
- Repeated witnessed episodes of amnesia
- Cognitive functions besides memory remain intact (e.g. language, attention and decision-making)
- Evidence for the diagnosis of epilepsy
- EEG abnormalities
- The experience of other common epileptic symptoms, such as, involuntary movements, hallucinations of smell or feeling a swirling sensation in your tummy
- A clear response to anti-epileptic drug
On the right is a map of the UK showing the geographical location of the 50 TEA patients involved in the first phase of the TIME study.