Project Plan - Workpackages (version 1.2, January 2006) - PDF file.
Project Aim & Objectives
The aim of the project is to implement a Shibboleth pilot service at the University of Exeter, involving registered members of the University based in Exeter, within the Peninsula Medical School (PMS) and the Peninsula Allied Health Collaboration (PAHC), and at the Combined Universities in Cornwall (CUC) campus in Cornwall. It will also investigate possible integration with the University portal, being developed by the XPort project, and its potential to interact with other campus services, including our VLE service (WebCT) and the Library Management System (produced by Innovative Interfaces). The SWISh Project will explore and disseminate the issues arising from these developments and will run through a number of phases, widening the implementation of Shibboleth across partner institutions and collaborations in the south west.
- Establish a Shibboleth server and develop the means by which the IdP service may be offered to users. It will also establish the necessary data flows between relevant University departments.
- Implement a pilot service to a small constituency of Exeter-based users (both student and staff) and subsequently explore and refine the resulting service.
- Further refine the Shibboleth service, expand the first pilot to a greater constituency, and extend the pilot to valid constituencies in the PMS, PAHC and CUC initiatives.
- Investigate the possible use of Shibboleth in relation to the University portal, being developed by the XPort project, and its potential to interact with other campus services, including the VLE and the Library Management System.
- Disseminate the findings of the project as widely as possible and engage in relevant consultations and discussions to support the wider implementation of Shibboleth in UK higher education.