Tasmania's Mining History: a bibliography

General

Aubrey, Michael, 'A history of mining exploration starts to pay off: Tasmania', in Miner, Darlinghurst, NSW, November 1989, pp. 10-11.

Bell, P., 'Historic minesites in Tasmania: a strategy to identify, assess and manage Tasmania's mining heritage: report to the Tasmanian National Parks and Wildlife Division', P. Bell, Adelaide, 1993.

Burton, B., 'Undermining Tasmania: a research paper on the mining industry', Wilderness Society, Hobart, 1989.

Dickens, Greg, Mining in Tasmania - a brief history, Tasmania Geological Survey Recoprd 1995/11, Mineral Resources Tasmania, Hobart, 1995.

Fenton, James, A History of Tasmania from its Discovery in 1642 to the Present Time, J. Walch and Sons, Hobart, 1884.

Gaughwin, Denise, 'Trade, Capital and the Development of the Extractive Industries of Northeast Tasmania', in Australasian Historical Archaeology 10, 1992 [published 1994], pp. 55-64.

Jennings, I.B. and Williams, E., Geology and Mineral Resources of Tasmania, Geological Survey of Tasmania Bulletin 50, Hobart, 1967.

Large, R.R., 'The mineral wealth of western Tasmania and the potential of the South West Conservation Area', Tasmanian Chamber of Mines, Hobart, July 1987.

Lawson, G.A., The past and present position of the mineral industry on the West Coast, Tasmania, McCarron Bird, Melbourne, 1896.

Nye, P.B. and Blake, F., The Geology and Mineral Deposits of Tasmania, Geological Survey of Tasmania Bulletin 44, Hobart, 1938.

Pink, K., The West Coast Story (a history of Western Tasmania and its mining fields), West Coast Pioneers' Memorial Museum, Zeehan, 1982.

Sharples, C., 'Mineral supplies and the National Estate in Tasmania', Combined Environment Groups, Hobart, March 1991.

Townrow, K., 'An archaeological investigation of early mining in Tasmania: a preliminary assessment of resources', Tasmanian National Parks and Wildlife Service, Hobart, September 1986.

Minerals

Copper

Anon., 'Mount Lyell: Tasmania's copper king', in Australian Mining, Chippendale, N.S.W., Thomson Publications, vol. 69, August 1977, pp. 49-55.

Blainey, G., The Peaks of Lyell, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1954.

de Blas, Alexandra, Environmental Effects of Mount Lyell Operations on Macquarie Harbour and Strahan, MA thesis, University of Tasmania, 1992.

Gardiner, B., In shadow of Lyell, B. and L.A. Gardiner, Devonport, 1983.

Haynes, T.W., 'Copper on the west coast', in Walkabout, September 1954, pp. 32-34.

Lowder, Anne, 'The barren hills of Mt Lyell', in Direct Action, 7 November 1984.

Rae, Lou, The Mt Lyell Mining and Railway Co. Ltd: a pictorial history 1893-1993, L. Rae, Ulverstone, 1993.

Wright, George, 'Lake Margaret Hydro-Electric Power Scheme, Mount Lyell, Tas.', in Australasian Institute of Mining Engineers Proceedings VI, new series no. 19, 1915, pp. 157-81.

Gold

Bacon, Carol, A brief history of the Jane River Goldfield, Tasmania Department for Mines Report 1989/32, Tasmania Department of Mines, Hobart, 1989.

Bannear, D., 'King River to Kelly Basin archaeological survey: a survey of the history and prehistory of Macquarie Harbour's northern shore', Occasional Paper, Department of Parks, Wildlife and Heritage, Hobart, 1991, no 29.

Bell, P., 'Management Recommendations for the Chintock (or Kent ) Battery on the Blue Tier', unpublished report to the Forestry Commission, 1993.

Coroneos, C., 'A Poor mans Diggings: an archaeological survey of the Lisle-Denison Goldfields, North-east Tasmania', two volumes, unpublished report to the Tasmanian Forestry Commission, 1993.

Dickens, Greg, The Lisle Goldfield - a brief history, Division of Mines and Mineral resources Report 1991/17, Tasmania Department of Resources and Energy, Hobart, 1991.

Julen, Hans, A History of goldmining on the Tasmanian West Coast, H. Julen, Launceston, 1981.

Kerrison, Janet, Beaconsfield gold, Beaconsfield Rotary Club, Beaconsfield, 1963.

Iron ore

Anon., 'Savage River Project', in Iron and Steel, vol. 42, December 1969, pp. 375-76.

Anon., 'Tamar Valley iron making', in BHP Review, vol. 45, Spring 1969, pp. 28-32.

Tin

Anon., 'Tin mining at Mount Cleveland', in Australian Trader, vol. 7, September 1970, p. 55.

Edwards, E., 'Notes on Tin Sluicing in Tasmania', in Australasian Institute of Mining Engineers Proceedings, vol .6, no. 11, pp. 119-51.

Kilner, R., The History of Storys Creek, Education Department, Hobart, 1985.

Knighton, A.D., 'Tin mining and sediment supply to the Ringarooma River, Tasmania, 1875/1979', in Australian Geographical Studies, vol. 25, no. 1, April 1987, pp. 83-97.

Lancaster, Keith, 'Mount Bischoff still survives', in Australian Gem and Crafts Magazine, no. 17, June/July 1976, pp. 88-91.

Plomley, N.J.B., 'Ben Lomond: history and science', in Papers and Proceedings of the Tasmanian Historical Research Association, vol. 35, no. 4, December 1988, pp. 136-45.

Witham, Lindsay, 'Where the four roads meet', Papers and Proceedings (Tasmanian Historical Research Association), vol. 29, December 1982, pp. 140-54.

Wolfram

Kilner, R., The History of Storys Creek, Education Department, Hobart, 1985.

Zinc

Alexander, Alison, The Zinc Works: producing zinc at Risdon 1916-1991, Pasminco Metals, Risdon, 1992.

Energy sources

Coal

Anon., 'Coal in Tasmania', in Australian Coal Shipping Steel and The Harbour, 1 October 1952, pp. 25-27.

Anon., 'The Catamaran Colliery and its transport systems', in Papers and Proceedings (Tasmanian Historical Research Association), vol. 30, no 2, June 1983, pp. 69-81.

Bacon, Carol, The Coal Resources of Tasmania, Geological Survey of Tasmania Bulletin 64, Hobart, 1991.

Bacon, Carol A. and Banks, Maxwell, R., 'A history of discovery, study and exploitation of coal in Tasmania', in Papers and Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania, vol. 123, 1989, pp. 137-89.

Bairstow, Damaris and Davies, Martin, Coal Mines Historic Site Survey: Preliminary Report, Department of Lands, Parks and Wildlife Occasional Paper 15, Hobart, 1987.

Brand, Ian, Coal Mines Historic Site, pamphlet produced by Department of Parks, Wildlife and Heritage, Hobart, 1991.

Plomley, N.J.B., 'Ben Lomond: history and science', in Papers and Proceedings of the Tasmanian Historical Research Association, vol. 35, no. 4, December 1988, pp. 136-45.

Southgate, D., The Cornwall Coal Company, 1886-1980, Centre for Environmental Studies, University of Tasmania, Hobart, 1983.

Whitham, L., 'The Dalmayne Colliery and its transport systems', in Papers and Proceedings of the Tasmanian Historical Research Association, vol. 39, no. 1, March 1992, pp. 12-22.

Whitham, L., 'The Sandfly coal mine and tramway', in Papers and Proceedings of the Tasmanian Historical Research Association, vol. 20, December 1973, pp. 201-09.

Other minerals

Bell, P., Devenport Mine near Black Buff, Report to Tasmania Development Resources, Adelaide, 1995.

Robson, Lloyd and Plomley, Brian, 'Mining for ochre by the Tasmanian Aborigines', in Artefact, vol. 7, June 1982, pp. 3-11.

Associated social history

General

Boyer, Peter, 'The Upper Forth Valley: post settlement historical outline', in Tasforests, vol. 1, no. 1, September 1989, pp. 39-43.

Cosgrove, R., 'North East Tasmanian Archaeological Survey: progress report 16.6.83-17.4.84', National Parks and Wildlife Service, 1984.

Cubit, Simon, 'Old Pelion Hut', in Heritage Australia, vol. 7, no. 1, Autumn 1988, pp. 26-28.

Gaughwin, D., 'North-east Tasmania historic sites inventory project', Forestry Commission of Tasmania, Hobart, March 1991.

Kelly, Russell, 'Elegy for a king & queen: the last gasp for Queenstown and the King River in Tasmania', in Australasia's Geographical Magazine, vol. 9, no. 4, December 1987-February 1988, pp. 68-77.

Latona Masterman and Associates and McMullen, E., Derby planning study, Latona Masterman and Associates, Woollahra NSW, 1985.

Scripps, L., 'North-west Tasmania historic sites inventory project', Forestry Commission of Tasmania, Hobart, 1990.

Walden, Sue, 'Chinese in the North-East', in Launceston Historical Society Papers and Proceedings 3, 1991, pp. 67-79.

Williams, S., 'Resource based industries and employment change in Tasmania 1970-1990', University of Tasmania, Hobart, December 1990.

Equipment and structures

Bell, P., 'Management recommendations for the Chintock (or Kent) Battery on the Blue Tier', Forestry Commission of Tasmania, Hobart, 1993.

Dickens, Greg, The Mount Cameron Water Race - a century of operation, Division of Mines and Mineral Resources Report 1990/15, Tasmania Department of Resources and Energy, Hobart, 1990.

Dickens, Greg, The Mount Cameron Water Race Board - a history of management, Mineral Resources Tasmania Report 1992/21, Tasmanian Development and Resources, Hobart, 1992.

Evans, Kathryn, 'The Kent/Chintock Battery and Waterwheel: Conservation Assessment -- Part 1', unpublished report to the Forestry Commission, Hobart, 1992.

McFie, H.H., 'The Tasmanian engineering heritage', a paper presented to the conference 'The protection of the engineering heritage (9-12 May 1982: Brisbane)', preprints of papers: Institution of Engineers, Barton, Australia, 1982.

Mercer, P., 'To remove, or not to remove, that is the question!', in Museums Association of Australia (Tasmanian Branch) Newsletter, Winter-Spring 1992, nos 36-37. pp. 1-3.

Milner, Peter, 'The Kent Battery on the Blue Tier, Tasmania', unpublished report to the Department of Resources and Energy, 1992.

Morris-Nunn, M. and Tassell, C.B., 'Tamar Valley industrial heritage: a survey', Queen Victoria Museum, Launceston, 1984.

Sticht, Robert Carl, 'Pyrite Smelting at Mount Lyell', in Proceedings of the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, new series, no. 19, 1915, pp. 75-124.

People and organisations

Burns, Rowan, 'His life spans a history of mining', in Mercury, 28 September 1977, p.5.

Heritage surveys

Bairstow, D. and Davies, M., 'Coal mines historic site survey: preliminary report', Occasional paper (Tasmania. National Parks and Wildlife Service) no. 15, Tasmanian Department of Lands, Parks and Wildlife, Hobart, 1987.

Bell, Peter, 'Surviving the Resource Boom: Historic Minesite Conservation in the 1980s', in Historic Environment , vol. 7, no, 1, 1989, pp. 2-8.

Coroneos, Cosmos, 'A Poor Mans Diggings: an archaeological survey of the Lisle-Denison Goldfields, North-east Tasmania', (two volumes), unpublished report to the Tasmanian Forestry Commission, 1993.

Gaughwin, Denise, 'North-East Tasmania: Historic Sites Inventory Project', unpublished report to the Tasmanian Forestry Commission, Hobart, 1991.

Godden Mackay Heritage Consultants, 'Mount Lyell Mining Lease Cultural Heritage Assessment Study', (2 vols), unpublished report to Mineral Resources Tasmania and the Tasmanian Department of Environment and Land Management, 1994.

Parham, D., 'South-East Tasmania: Historic Sites Inventory Project', unpublished report to the Forestry Commission of Tasmania, 1992.

Scripps, Lindy, 'North-West Tasmania: Historic Sites Inventory Project', unpublished report to the Forestry Commission, 1990.

Townrow, Karen, 'An Archaeological Investigation of Early Mining in Tasmania: a preliminary assessment of resources', unpublished report to the Australian Heritage Commission, 1986.

Vivian, Helen, 'Tasmania's Chinese Heritage: an historical record of Chinese sites in North East Tasmania', unpublished report to the Australian Heritage Commission and the Queen Victoria Museum, 1985.