University of Exeter, HuSS
Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies
Exeter, EX4 4ND
Tel.: +44 (0) 1392 725251
Fax: +44 (0) 1392 724035
Dr Chiara Zazzaro
Postdoctoral Research Associate, MARES Project
Dr Chiara Zazzaro
Postdoctoral Research Associate, MARES Project
Born in Naples, Italy, Chiara studied Classical Studies and Archaeology at the University of Naples “L’Orientale”. Chiara’s area of expertise is in maritime archaeology of the Red Sea, which is at the focus of her research since 2000. In 2006 she defended her PhD thesis “The Red Sea and the Horn of Africa in Antiquity. An Archaeological Approach: Navigation, Sites and Materials” in African Archaeology at the University of Naples “L’Orientale”.
Since 2001 Chiara is involved in the ongoing joint excavation project of the University of Naples “L’Orientale” and the Boston University at the Pharaonic harbour of Mersa Gawasis (Egypt, Red Sea) as person in charge, with other specialists, to study ship timbers and maritime equipment and as field director in 2007-08. Her contributions to the annual field season report are published on the website www.archaeogate.org.
In 2008 she joined the Centre Camille Jullian (Université de Provance - CNRS) as an associate researcher for maritime archaeology: nautical archaeology.
In January 2009 she participated to the project of navigation in the Red Sea of the reconstructed Pharaonic ship “Min of the Desert”. The project was sponsored by the Sombrero & Co. and led by Cheryl Ward.
Chiara’s research focus in the MARES Project is the study of the boatbuilding construction techniques in the Red Sea using an archaeological and ethno-archaeological approach. Chiara’s research interests also include nautical equipment, harbour and ports, navigation techniques and coastal environment of the Red Sea.
Publications and Field Reports
- All contributions to the annual excavation reports from 2001 to 2008 are published on the website http://www.archaeogate.org/egittologia/missioni.archivio.php
Contributions to volumes
- C. Zazzaro and M. M. Abd el Maguid, Ancient Egyptian anchors: new results from Wadi Gawasis, in Essam el-Saeed, El-Sayed Mahfuz and Abdel Monem Megahed (eds.), Festschrift Volume presented to Prof. Abdel Monem Abdel Haleem Sayed. Alexandria, 2006: 139-162.
- K. A. Bard, S. T. Childs, R. Fattovich, E. Mahfouz, A. Manzo, C. Perlingieri, R. Pirelli, C. Ward, and C. Zazzaro, Excavations, in ed. by K. A. Bard and R. Fattovich, Harbor of the Pharaohs to the Land of Punt. Archaeological Investigations at Mersa/Wadi Gawasis, Egypt, 2001-2005, Napoli 2007: 37-89.
- C. Ward and C. Zazzaro, Ship evidence, in K. A. Bard and R. Fattovich 2007: 135-160.
- C. Zazzaro et alii, Other wood and wood identification, in K. A. Bard and R. Fattovich 2007: 165-188.
- C. Zazzaro et alii, Other finds, in K. A. Bard and R. Fattovich 2007:189-212.
- R. Fattovich, A. M. Mahmoud, A. Manzo, C. Perlingieri, C. Zazzaro, Archaeological Investigation at the Wadi Gawasis, Egypt: A Preliminary Report 2001-2002, Annales du Service des Antiquités de l’Egypte, tome 79 (2005): 61-84.
- C. Zazzaro, Oggetti in metallo da Adulis (Eritrea) nella collezione archeologica del Museo Africano di Roma, Africa LXI – n. 3-4, 2006: 454-482.
- A. Veldmeijer and C. Zazzaro, The Rope Cave at Mersa Gawasis: a Preliminary Report, Antiguo Oriente, vol. 5, 2007: 243-247.
- K. A. Bard, C. Calcagno, R. Fattovich, C. Ward and C. Zazzaro, Mersa/Wadi Gawasis, an Egyptian Harbor on the Red Sea, in J. P. Delgado, Nautical and Maritime Archeology 2006-2007 Seasons, American Journal of Archaeology, 112.2, 2008: 307-310.
- A. Veldmeijer and C. Zazzaro, The Rope Cave at Mersa Gawasis, Journal of American Research Centre in Egypt 44 2008: 9-39.
- C. Zazzaro, Nautical evidence from the pharaonic site of Marsa/Wadi Gawasis: report on two parts of a steering oar/rudder. In R. Bockius (ed.), Between the Seas. Transfer and Exchange in Nautical Technology. Proceedings of the Eleventh International Symposium on Boat and Ship Archaeology, Mainz 2006, hosted by Romisch-Germanisches Zentralmuseum, Forschungsbereich Antike Schiffahrt, Verlag des Romisch-Germanischen Zentralmuseums, Mainz 2009: 3-8.
- C. Zazzaro, Adulis and the Eritrean Coast in Museum Collections and Italian and Other European Travellers’ Accounts in Lucy Blue, John Cooper, Ross Thomas and Julian Whitewright (eds), Proceedings of Red Sea Project IV, held at the University of Southampton, September 2008, Society for Arabian Studies Monographs No. 8, BAR International Series 2052, 2009: 49-59.
- C. Ward and C. Zazzaro, Evidence for Pharaonic Seagoing Ships at Mersa/Wadi Gawasis, Egypt, in The International Journal of Nautical Archaeology (2010) 39.1: 27–43.
- C. Ward, C. Zazzaro and M. Abd El-Maguid, Super-Sized Egyptian Ships, in The International Journal of Nautical Archaeology (2010) 39.2: 387-389.
- D. Agius, J. P. Cooper, C. Zazzaro and J. Jansen van Rensbourg, The dhow’s last redoubt? Vestiges of wooden boatbuilding traditions in Yemen, in Proceedings of the Seminar for Arabian Studies 40 (2010): 71-84.
- C. Zazzaro, Ship timbers and ship equipment in their archaeological context at Mersa Gawasis, Egypt. In F. Raffaele, M. Nuzzolo and I. Incordino (eds) 2010, Recent Discoveries and Latest Research in Egyptology. Proceedings of the First Neapolitan Congress of Egyptology, Naples, 18th-20th 2008, pp. 350-359. Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz Verlag.
- K. Borojevic, W. E. Steiner, Jr., R. Gerisch, C. Zazzaro, and C. Ward, Combating pests in an ancient Egyptian harbour, Journal of Archaeological Science, 2010: 1-10.
Submitted, accepted or in press
- D. A. Agius, J. P. Cooper, L. Semaan and C. Zazzaro. The MARES Project survey of Jizan and the Farasan Islands. Part I Ethnography. In Atlal, submitted.
- J. P. Cooper and C. Zazzaro. The MARES Project survey of Jizan and the Farasan Islands. Part II: Archaeology. In Atlal, submitted.
- C. Zazzaro, Historical and archaeological records to reflect on the maritime components of the Aksumite society. In Studi in Onore di Yacob Beyene, Napoli: Universita’ degli Studi di Napoli “L’Orientale”, accepted.
- C. Zazzaro and M. Abdel Maguid, Ancient Egyptian stone anchors from Mersa Gawasis. In Proceedings of the Conference The Red Sea in Pharaonic Times. Recent Discoveries along the Red Sea Coast. Cairo - Ayn Soukhna. 11-12 Jan 2009. Bulletin de l'Institut français d'archéologie orientale, accepted.
- C. Zazzaro and C. Calcagno. Ship components from Mersa Gawasis: recent finds and their archaeological context. In Proceedings of the Conference The Red Sea in Pharaonic Times. Recent Discoveries along the Red Sea Coast. Cairo - Ayn Soukhna. 11-12 Jan 2009. Bulletin de l'Institut français d'archéologie orientale, accepted.
- C. Zazzaro and C. Calcagno, Evidenze di attività navali dal sito faraonico di Marsa/Wadi Gawasis, Atti del III Convegno A.I.A.Sub., Manfredonia 4-6 ottobre 2007, Bibliotheca Archaeologica, in press.