Is the Climate Change Act safe?
From: Matthew Lockwood
To: University of Sussex, 12th November 2013
Climate Change Act 2008
- greeted as historical piece of legislation
- supposed to bind the hands of future governments, creating investor confidence
- Passed almost unanimously and first 3 budgets agreed easily in 2009
- major disagreements over fourth budget (2023-27) in spring of 2011
- eventually agreed, but review to be held in 2014
- 2030 electricity sector decarbonisation target called for to shore up confidence
- April 2013 – The Daily Telegraph calls for repeal of CCA
- Sep 2013 – Debate in House of Commons on motion to repeal the CCA
- Nov 2013 – positioning on the review of the fourth carbon budget begins
- How was the Act supposed to work politically?
- How might the Act work politically?
Download presentation: ML – Is the CCA safe Sussex Nov 2013
There is also an open access journal article associated with this presentation: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0959378013001076#