The Cornish in Latin America

Aztec art

Home > The Cornish in Latin America > Letters and Diaries > Extracts from the Diary of Thomas Merrett

Inlisted, November 15th, 1830 to the Brazil association for the term of five years in place, the salary of one hundred and two pounds per year.
16th. To St Day to Mr. Chas. Harvey taking out clothing and came home very wet, changed my clothes and went down in town, took out other clothing, got measured with tailor for the making of clothes, and engaged about sundry other articles.
17th. After breakfast went to Scorrier signed the articles, and took the Bounty. Came home, took dinner, and in the evening went to prayer meeting, and felt it to be a season of spiritual good.
18th. Took breakfast in the morning, and then took down a list or number of my outfits, and after dinner had orders to get ready for Falmouth, packed up my boxes, hired a cart, and left Redruth at ten o'clock.
Arrived at Falmouth at 12.30 at night. I put my boxes in the Custom House and then went to an inn. Sat up all night -
19th. In the morning went to the office and had descriptions of my person taken down, and I signed a passport. I then went and changed my money, and then had 2s 6d from Mr. Pearce to pay for my night provision. I was then ordered to quay, entered the boat at 9 o'clock, sailed down to the packet called the Duke of York (Mr. Snell Agent of the vessel) and about 11 o'clock took farewell and set sail. In the evening I felt my head rather light due to want of food. I turned on deck not knowing the face of the cook.
20th. Beefsteak for breakfast, tough beef for dinner, and after taking a glass of grog I hung up my hammock, gave myself to the Lord, and returned and took my very good night's rest.
21st. Sunday. This is a morning of sorrow, under the consideration of my privations from religious dutys but in the afternoon I felt my mind somewhat comforted whilst under the conversation of others, that the Lord knoweth the thoughts of our hearts and the way we would take. We read and sang together, and so passed the day.
22nd. Monday. This morning joined five of us together in mess, Samuel Trengove, Jno. Richards, Francis Ralph, Thos. Skewes and myself. I asked of our progress and I was answered that we had just left Plymouth for the third time since we left Falmouth. Sailed about 5 and a half knots an hour.
23rd. This morning took our departure of Lizard Point. Our progress has not been rapid, one and a half knots an hour.
24th. After breakfast, I read a sermon. After dinner read another. Our sailing from 7 to 9 knots an hour.
25th. It came Francis Ralph's turn with myself to assist the cook. This morning one of our ship's crew dropped his instrument and catched a large fish called a porpus, perhaps 40 lbs in weight. After dinner I read some interesting tracts. Our sailing about 2 and a half knots an hour.
26th. I read another tract concerning the wretched life, but happy end, of Wm. Bird, to which I would say that my last end in spirit may be like his! Sailed about 5 and a half to 9 knots an hour.
27th. One o'clock this morning I waked by a storm that blew nearly head, and the sea running so mountainous that we scarce made any progress for the day, yet in that case I felt my confidence was in Him who rides upon the stormy skies and calms the roaring sea.
28th. This morning about 6 o'clock the storm eased, and we found that we had left the Bay of Bisky, sailed about 9 and a half knots an hour through the day. I gave part of my time to reading and felt it profitable.
29th. This for the first time since I had been on shipboard took my pen to put down of our getting on. Sailed from 6 and a half to 8 knots an hour.
30th. Nothing very particular hath occurred. Read a tract in the afternoon. In the evening had a cake with tea, bath, and made a very good super, and after a little air thence went to bed.
Dec 1st. Foul wind to-day, and I heard by the master that if it had continued 4 days more we should be driven back to Falmouth again. Read a tract and passed the day.
2nd. This morning fair wind south of west about 5 knots an hour. I read a sermon on the voice of one crying in the wilderness.
3rd. Read a sermon, Matt 16. 8. of the sign of the coming of Christ. In the evening saw a merchantman vessel pass us very near on the other tack, but being rather dim could not pass near enough to speak to each other. After that we came below and had a hot cake with tea, 4 and a half knots per hour.
4th. Engaged in removing the chests and taking our beds on deck for the purposes of airing and cleaning the vessel. 5 knots an hour.
5th. This morning at 10 o'clock for the first time since we had been on board the Captain of the vessel read prayers and the Surgeon filled the place of the clerk. 5 and a half knots an hour. In the afternoon I read a sermon on the end of Christ's coming, John 18-37. In the evening we had a currant cake with tea.
6th. Assisting the cook. 4 and a half knots an hour. Passed the coast of Madearrah. In the evening, for the first time since I left my mother's house, I took of my clothes in the consequence of the cold.
7th. I read part of the extract of Jno. Nelson's Journal to-day, not much progress on account of we got into the variable winds. 8 knots an hour. When at tea in the evening one of our men said that Wm. Treweek had not his passport with him, then another by the name of Thos. Manewell said that he had not his with him; then it passed from one to another until one came to the Agent's thence to the ears of the Mate, Master, Doctor and Captain. They being not aware that the captain had the whole passports in his possession, was kept in ignorance and the lark was carried so far with the Agent and Surgeon that it lasted nearly the whole of the nest day.
8th. After breakfast this morning I washed a pair of stockings and a pocket handkerchief.  Got into the trade winds. Sailed 4 knots an hour. I read for the day another portion of Jno. Nelson's Journal. In the evening for a bit of lark the steward of the vessel made a bet, as he called it, with one of the sailors for a gallon of rum that he would put away Wm. Treweek so that the sailor should not find him within the limits of 10 minutes. The man was so foolish as to gain his consent, and the steward with the rest of the sailors concealed him into a box, threw a sailing on it and tied it up for a small space of time, and the took off the sailing and the sailors threw in upon 3 or 4 pails of water, and made a laughing spectacle for all that was on board.
December 21st. This morning I washed two shirts and rubbed the skin from my fingers. Saw a large flock of flying fish about the size of a pilsher. Read Exodus, Psalms. Sailed 6 knots an hour, S.E. by S.
22nd. To-day rather poorly in body, but in the Lord is my spirit strengthened. Read the remainder part of the second book of Moses, also sung hymns. 4 and a half knots an hour.
23rd. This morning felt in body much the same, but hath been visited by the Lord in a remarkable manner, I think, to my soul. It has been a morning without clouds, while considering my union with Christ, I was enabled to say with that poet of Mr. Wesley:

Fixed on the ground will I remain,
Though my heart fail, and flesh decay,
This anchor shall my soul sustain
When earth's foundations melt away;
Mercy's full power I then shall prove,
Lov'd with an everlasting love.

Read portions of Scripture, Leviticus, Psalms, Matt. In the afternoon I read the remainder part of Jno. Nelson's Journal. 5 knots an hour, S.E. by S.
24th. This morning much better in body with a disposition of mind to serve God. Portions of Scripture, Leviticus, Psalms, Matt. 3 and a half knots an hour.
25th. Christmas Day. Read a sermon. Dined on roast mutton. Attended prayers as on Sabbath day, but at tea time disappointed, barley grains put into the cake in the place of currants. I suppose it was done for a lark with the person that took up the flour. 3 knots an hour.
26th. This morning the sailors caught a shark, weight about 100 weight. Attended prayers, dined on goose, docks, beef.
30th. Read Numbers, Psalms, and Mark. 5 knots an hour. This evening William Thomas going to hang up his hat slipped his foot and fell across the ladder that was in the main hatch way, from which he received a great hurt.
31st. With William Thomas nearly the whole of the day. This morning, about 10 and a half o'clock we passed the Excenoxion line but as was proposed by Nipton the barber back on the 12 instant, he did not pay us the visit promised, on account of the accident which happened the night before. 7 and a half knots an hour. With William Thomas from 12 at night on till 6 the next morning. He was very bad.
January 1st 1831. This morning received my covenants fresh with God to be His, and felt it to be a season of spiritual good. Afterwards I retired for the purpose of taking a little rest, on till dinner time. In the afternoon I was with William Thomas again and read Mark. 7 knots an hour. With William Thomas at night on till 6 the next morning, and by this time I found myself greatly out of order for the want of rest.
2nd. This morning I was obliged to neglect going to Church. Very poorly. In the afternoon much better. After dining on part of a roast dock and a drink of wine, read Num., Mark and finished the Book of Psalms. Wm. Thomas a little worse. 6 and a half knots an hour.
3rd. I read a sermon on proof of Christ's Resurrection, Jno. 20c 29v. 7 knots an hour. Stayed up all night with William Thomas, and he was very low.
4th. To-day myself have had very bad headache, yet I struggled and washed a couple of shirts. In the afternoon I was with William Thomas again. 6 knots an hour.
5th. Portions of Scripture read from Numbers and also Mark; from 12 o' clock at noon to 6 o'clock at evening I was with William Thomas. Very weak. 5 knots an hour.
6th. With the cook today. Met this morning a merchantman brig, which did answer to the questions asked by our Master, from Rio to Falmouth, which had left 29 days, and we expect to get into Rio in about 5 or 6 days' time. Read Numbers, finished the Evangelist Mark. 2 and a half knots an hour.
With William Thomas from 6 o'clock this morning until 12 o'clock at noon. Afternoon I was engaged in putting to rights my boxes against we go ashore. 3 and a half knots an hour.
12th. This morning we saw the Sugar Loaf as it is called. A calm for about 3 hours. A little wind, so that we got to the Sugar Loaf, and at 7 o'clock we dropped anchor, which is about 6 miles distance from Rio. Our Agents went with the boat's crew to shore, for the purpose of preparing for them given to his charge. They tarried the night for the want of communication with their superior. I was with W.T. from 12 o'clock on till 6 in the evening.
13th. T
he morning drawed anchor and hoisted sail, and about 10 minutes after 12 arrived at the harbour and dropped anchor, and about 5 o'clock took boat and sailed  to shore. Our entertainment was of a sort that I would not wish better.
14th. This morning I went and viewed an Emperor's palace, changed some money, bought some cigars and tobacco, came in and took breakfast; afterwards I was engaged in getting my boxes through the custom house, which was a very fatiguing job, though after all we were only spectators. Came home and took dinner, and passed nearly all the day in afterwards.
15th. Waked this morning with the sound of the trumpets and bells, went out and viewed the Mount, bought a trousers, came home and took breakfast, which brought it to about 9 o'clock; read a copy of a will for one of our men, namely J. Bennetts. After went to the store house, and took out the things I needed for the mine, came home, and afterwards I took my pen to put down something.
16th. Sunday. After breakfast we changed our clothes and few of us went out and saw two of the Roman Catholic churches. Such a sight I never saw before, and a plenty of walking about, so that against the evening I was very much fatigued. Read Deut. Luke.
17th. Wrote a letter for to send home, and another for a man.
18th. Wrote three more for other men that could not write themselves.
19th.Got up this morning and shifted myself, and after breakfast, walked out, and saw another part of the city, which the shops represent themselves very grand. In the afternoon two others with myself walked out, and saw the washing place; perhaps there were scores there engaged in their employment.
20th. Took a walk after breakfast with 4 or 5 more. In our walking a lady asked us in Portuguese should she go along with us. We answered "not know".
21st. Engaged in packing up our boxes for to send off in the course of a day or two. Came back from the store room very much fatigued. 
22nd. After dinner 5 of us sailed over to the War Spike vessel, 74 guns.
27th. As six of us were walking by the seaside this morning we were hailed by a Cornish female, whose language was "where is that Cornish hog that have not left his M______ d_______N_______d yet," intimating one of our men who was not with us. We made little or no reply, and went our way on. After we had washed ourselves, we went with T. Skewes (Gwennap) to the quay and took farewell with him. He was going to a mine not far from Gongo Soco, he came in the same vessel with us. After dinner walked out and saw members of the Roman Catholic Churches performing the ceremonies, which sight was much grander than that of the Freemasons that I ever saw in England. Carried by them lighting candles, part of their images, bells ringing, a band of music, fireworks aplenty, and as they passed a greater part of the spectators with their hats in their hands and on their knees. I have heard that it's called the Independent Day. In the evening I saw part of a funeral procession, which was taken up with by 7 soldiers, and perhaps, as much as ten men walking before with lighting candles in their hands. I did not follow them all the way, being at rather a late hour, about 8 o'clock.
Feb 1. About 7 o'clock this morning left Rio de Janeiro, entered the boat and sailed about 40 miles. 
2nd. Left about 8 o'clock this morning, and rode about 10 miles, and travelled about 4 miles up the mountain, which was a very fatiguing journey, and got in about 1 o'clock for dinner, - fowls.
3rd. This morning took our departure from Laureek. Our dinner was fresh meat, pork, greens, beans. Before we took dinner we, perhaps six of us, took a walk in the Garden and had as much peas as we could eat for 4 vinters each; and saw a large quantity of figs, and also peaches on the tree, which was not fit for eating. A very pleasant country, only very little bread.
14th. Rode to Corddocumbo, 6 miles. On our not going further was on account that the troop master could not get corn for the horses. To-day passed through the town of Carbasceana. On our entering the town, we saw a most shameful thing, 6 females dancing a fandanso with a mute playing on a violin. They almost drove us away with the impudence. Dined on some beefsteak.
19th. Rode to a place called Passage, 20 miles, passed through the city of Valarake. Great preparations making for the passing of the Emperor on the morrow, grand monument and arches erected in different places in the city.
20th. Rode to Vendecinredes, 26 miles. In riding on passed through the city of Maryana; there are also great preparations made in expectance of the Emperor to pass in a little while, perhaps after we rode 4 miles we meet him with the Empress with him. They both was in on a chair carried by two horses, one before and the other behind, followed by Noblemen, and after them a troop of soldiers. We got off from our horses and stopped in on one side of the road until he passed. I believe the whole male of us took off our hats, but gave no cheer. The Emperor, in my opinion, was but a rather coarse looking person, but the Empress, I think, was the finest featured figure that I ever saw. 
22nd. Rode about 12 miles, and got into the village of Gongo Soco. We were met by scores of Englishmen. We were received gladly. Soon after I dismounted the horse, several men came forth and shook hands with me, among them was John Lean of Gwennap. He gave me an invitation to go with him to his house, and I embraced the opportunity.

Back to Top