The Savings & Loan Crisis
- INSIDE JOB: The LOOTING OF AMERICA'S SAVINGS
AND LOANS. Steve Pizzo et.al., McGraw Hill, 1989.
Also in paperback. Colorful account of the crime and sleeze of the S&L losses.
- THE MAFIA, CIA & GEORGE BUSH. Pete Brewton, SPI
Argues the CIA looted S&Ls to pursue its secret ventures, documents
interconnections among top politicians, criminals and bureaucrats. Chilling.
- LICENSE TO STEAL. Benjamin J. Stein, Simon & Schuster,
The ugly truth about Michael Milken and S&Ls.
- S&L HELL. Kathleen Day, W.W. Norton, 1993.
Inside the politics of the S&L mess. Good bibliography.
- THE GREATEST EVER BANK ROBBERY. Martin Mayer,
Charles Scribner's Sons, 1990.
Thorough background, insight into the origins of the S&L situation.
- TRICK OR TREASON, THE OCTOBER SURPRISE
MYSTERY. Robert Parry, Sheridan Square Press, 1993.
Not about S&Ls but convincingly demonstrates how careerism
among today's journalists has distorted and altered honest
reporting. Disturbing book.
- THE LAST STAND, THE WAR BETWEEN WALL STREET
AND MAIN STREET OVER CALIFORNIA'S ANCIENT
REDWOODS. David Harris, Times Books, a division of
Random House, 1995.
How Michael Milken and Charles Hurwitz of Maxxam destroyed California forests
and lives using S&L money. Gripping.
Postscript added by Roy Davies
For an academic analysis of the Savings and Loan debacle and the lessons
to be learnt see the books below.
- THE S&L DEBACLE: Public policy lessons for bank and thrift regulation.
Lawrence J. White. Oxford University Press, 1991.
- BIG MONEY CRIME : fraud and politics in the savings and loan crisis.
Kitty Calavita, Henry N. Pontell, Robert H. Tillman.
Berkeley : University of California, 1999. 263 p.
Financial Scandals Home Page
Financial Thrillers by Linda Davies
History of Money
Biography of Glyn Davies
Other Money links - Past, Present & Future
Search Money Pages at this site
Roy Davies' Home Page
Roy Davies - last updated 5 July 2004.